There are some countries whose nationals may not obtain visa on arrival. Applicants from these countries require special clearance from the Commissioner General of Immigration or the Commissioner of Immigration (Zanzibar) prior to arrive to Tanzania. Countries which fall under this category are referred to as Referral Visa Category
Requirement for Referral Cases
Any prospective visitor whose nationality falls under the Referral Visa Category is required to attach the following attachments while making application:
- Covering letter from a legally registered Institution/ Company if the visit is official or covering letter from an Individual who knows the applicant if the trip is personal, the letter must detail the purpose of visit and duration of stay of the prospective visitor;
- Applicant Valid copy of Passport;
- Applicant Passport size photo;
- Copy of the host institution/Company registration documents, like Certificate of Incorporation, TIN, Business License, etc;
- Copy of passport and Residence Permit if the host individual is a foreign national, or copy of passport or national ID if the host is a Tanzanian citizen;
- Filled-in Security Bond (T.I.F 12)
- Respective Visa fee
- Refugees who hold Vienna Convention documents (Travel Documents) are also required to obtain referral visa prior to coming to Tanzania.
- Stateless persons and Refugees who hold Vienna Convention documents are also required to obtain referral visa prior to coming to Tanzania.
Applicants whose nationals fall under referral visa category are advised to submit their applications Online at least 2 months before their travel date. Further, they are advised NOT to book flight tickets or make any reservations before they get their visa
Applicants or host Institutions are required to review the List of countries (from our website) which fall under Referral Visa from time to time as there might be some changes.